Monday, 27 May 2013

Typika, not your typical brunch

Last Saturday, I had the pleasure of catching up with a good friend and photographer of mine for lunch. I decided to check out Typika on the recommendation of a few friends who have been there for lunch. Typika is located just outside of Claremont Quarter. The line wasn't too long considering we were there around 12.30pm for lunch.

The wall was lined with little vertical pot plants which was a pretty awesome idea.
We were playing around with my new 50mm f1.4 and I absolute love it, especially for people shots.
Typika is a nice big cafe with a modern industrial feel to it. It had a variety of seating arrangements, from little cafe tables like the one we had, to lounge-y sofa chairs and bar stools.
Would have loved to try their little pastries and treats. Loved the handwritten place cards of each item. In terms of the food, I was really disappointed that they only served the Breakfast menu all day on the weekends. I was really looking forward to trying out the lunch menu (which we found out on the day was only available on weekdays) as my friends have told me the mini wagyu burgers were really good.

Nonetheless the breakfast menu was pretty extensive, probably around 20 items. We decided to share three dishes and picked the unconventional breakfast dishes to try.
Huevos Rancheros was probably my least favourite dish, however it sounded great on the menu.
The four type mushroom filled Crepe on a bed of rocket and a thick balsamic vinegar sauce had really good flavours to it. It certainly felt like a healthy dish.
Murtabak was hands down our favourite dish of the three. It had the right balance of flavours and the tomata based salsa in the tiny little jar was just amazing. For those who are not familiar Murtabak is actually an Arabic inspired dish. It's a common street food in countries such as Malaysia and Indonesia. I loved how Typika gave it its own twist on a much loved street food.

Overall the prices were fairly decent for brunch/lunch, averaging at $16 a dish. The service was prompt but nothing amazing. The atmosphere was great and I loved the decor, very Melbourne-esq. The food was a bit hit and miss though mostly hit. I would certainly be back to check out the lunch menu but probably not for brunch anytime soon.

J.

Typika on Urbanspoon